Skip to content Back to Top

Types Of Unemployment Insurance

Regular UI: Any person may qualify for regular UI if they worked in covered employment and earned enough wage credits. The amount of benefits you will be eligible for is based on wages earned in the first four of the last five calendar quarters. There are continuing requirements that a person be available for work, able to work and actively seeking work. Furthermore, a six-week disqualification may apply if you quit or were discharged for misconduct from your last job. This disqualification also denies your eligibility for the Extended Benefit (EB – see below) program and a total of three weeks will be deducted from your maximum amount of benefits you can collect. All these conditions apply to the following types of unemployment insurance.

Interstate Claim for Benefits: If an individual is living in another state but has worked in Alaska, he/she may file an Alaska claim. Because the claim is based off of earnings in Alaska, Alaska would pay your benefits and all determinations would come from Alaska. To file an Interstate Claim, call 1-888-252-2557.

Combined Wage Claim (CWC) for Benefits: If an individual worked in more than one state during the last two years, they may qualify for a CWC. Eligibility will be based on combining all the wage credits for each state.

Extended Benefits: A federal program that pays additional unemployment insurance (UI) benefits during periods of high unemployment.

Unemployment Compensation for Federal Civilian Employees (UCFE): If an individual is separated for civilian employment with the federal government, they may qualify for UI. It will be necessary to provide an SF-8 form (provided by the government employer). The UI Support Unit will contact the federal agency to verify wages and separation information. Wages may be added by affidavit, if the client can provide wage proof (check stubs, W2, etc.).

Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Military Personnel (UCX): If an individual served in “active” military duty in the last 18 months, they may be eligible for UI. It is necessary to provide discharge papers (Form DD-214).

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA): If an individual is unemployed because of a disaster, they may be eligible for up to 26 weeks of special unemployment assistance. Once the federal government has declared a major disaster and offer individual assistance, the state DUA Coordinator and FEMA personnel issue DUA information to affected individuals in the designated areas.